In spite of following a daily skin-care regimen that includes washing makeup off before bed, acne can strike, often unexpectedly, in the summer. Humidity levels rise and your glands produce more oil. This leads to severely clogged pores and in turn unwanted breakouts. Excess sweating, sunscreens and the heat can accelerate things and result in acne. Keep reading to know how you can get rid of acne in the summer.
Ways to prevent acne in summer
- Wash your face only once or twice a day with lukewarm water. Ensure you’re washing your face in the evening using a mild cleanser, to remove makeup and dirt.
- Do not squeeze your pimples. Squeezing typically leads to further inflammation. This makes acne look worse and last longer. Also, this will leave a bad pigmented scar.
- Avoid processed foods, generally high in saturated fats and trans-fats; it can lead to an increase in sebum production triggering acne.
- Avoid oily food like chips, French fries, etc. These taste yummy. But these contain saturated oils that increase cholesterol in the body. This leads to poor blood circulation and can worsen your acne.
- Fiber plays an important role in getting rid of body toxins. Eat cereals and fiber-rich food and fruits like blueberries, grapefruit, etc; to detoxify your body and clear your skin.
- Stop using foundation for a week. It can help clear up acne breakouts, and can stop any rashes that are caused by irritating ingredients.
- Do not use makeup on acne skin and if it’s important, only then use non-comedogenic and non-irritating products.
- Don’t cover your entire face with several layers of concealer. In its place, use a balancing colour to blend in the blemishes.
- Outdoor exercises let your skin breathe fresh air. Moreover, you will get Vitamin D through the sun rays.
- The astringent property of cucumber helps to treat the acne and lightens the appearance of acne by reducing redness and pain as well as scars. It removes dirt, dead skin cells, bacteria, leftover make-up and oil on the skin. It has natural calming and cooling effects to reduce redness and inflammation.
- Lemon’s acidic properties eliminate acne breakdown. Rub a sliced lemon with juice on your pimple. Wash it off after 10 minutes.
- Drinking lots of water prevents your body from dehydration. It’s recommended to drink at least 8 glasses of water in a day. This keeps your skin cool and reduces the recurrence of acne.
- Sandalwood masks can be applied to the area where acne is predominant. Sandalwood is rich in healing properties. It cools your skin and makes your skin clear from summer acne. Mix sandalwood powder with rosewater. Apply on the affected areas. Leave it until the paste is dry and wash with lukewarm water. This prevents acne from occurring.
- Neem has excellent antibacterial properties. Neem combined with turmeric helps to get rid of summer acne in a short period. Wash the neem to remove the dirt from it. Grind it to a fine paste along with turmeric. Apply all over the acne-affected area. Repeat this twice a week for effective results.
- It might feel counterintuitive to lather on moisturizer when your skin produces excess oil. But it’s important to maintain a healthy skin barrier with good moisturizers in the summer months.
- It might be an instinct to leisurely lounge around after a good swim. But saltwater or chlorine shouldn’t linger on your face for long. Showering after a lot of sweating also helps to prevent
Even after taking care of your diet and hygiene habits, if you get acne, seek professional help. If you want a safe, effective and natural acne treatment, you can take the help of homeopathy. It offers long-term relief, by targeting the root causes of acne. It treats hormonal fluctuations and also helps reduce acute symptoms of acne such as pain, inflammation and swelling.
To get a customized treatment plan for your condition, visit your nearest skin clinic.